Top Ten Transformations

"Keep Calm and Read More", that's my motto. But every now and again, films are awesome too. So, with that in mind, here are my fave novel adaptations...



Ten:



Eclipse, by Stephanie Meyer
Yes, here is another guilty pleasure, and in my opinion the best book adaptation of the entire saga. All the details from within the novel are captured within the film and I believe this is all down to the director, David Slade (30 Days of Night). Though many (including me on occasion) find aspects of the Twilight tale slightly convoluted, verging on twisted, Eclipse is a brilliant film. The action scenes are immense and the actors have really made the effort to make facial expressions!

Nine:
 
 
The Queen of the Damned, by Anne Rice
I know, I know, Anne Rice fans are reading this and screaming at the screen but I love this! It could be Stuart Townsend, but it could also be the script and the soundtrack. It may not be as accurate as Interview With a Vampire but I feel that this film has a little more 'fang' in it; the atmosphere created is just immense!


Eight:
 
 
The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
I had reservations about this film; the book was quite descriptive and dark. And I did not like Katniss... at all. But I was pleasantly surprised! The film was extremely good. Though there were some aspects that could have been built on, like the character interaction between Katniss and Peta, overall the transformation from book to screen was done well. Especially when you consider the violent/political subject and magnitude of the entire novel itself.
My favourite bit of the film was the shooting! Awesome!
 
Seven:
 
 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K Rowling
Though I love all the Harry Potter books and films, the best adaptation to me is certainly the last one. The past decade (eight films) has been so much fun but several of the films have had their own issues. One or two have left out important details and even caused book lovers some confusion. But this film is simply epic!!! I have raved about this film before but I will do it again; tear jerking elements, action, laughter, shock... WOW. Just WOW.
 
Six:
 
 
The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks
The book made me cry, the prose was incredibly touching and really showed the difficulties of dealing with illness. The film also made me teary... I am not one to cry at movies, but this really did pull at the heartstrings. As an adaptation, it works very well. I loved this. With a capital 'L'.
 
Five:
 
 
A Walk to Remember, by Nicholas Sparks
I love this. This is my favourite Sparks novel and (this is odd) I love the film even more; it is one of the only films that I prefer to the novel. The good girl/bad boy relationship dynamic is lovely and the added complication of cancer really adds a sense of maturity to the entire film. Though it has a sad ending, it is soooooo romantic and leaves you sitting on the sofa with a smile.
 
Four:
 
 
Emma, by Jane Austen
I am a massive Austen fan and simply love this adaptation. Again, as with every adaptation, there are elements that have been missed, over edited etc, but even taking these into account, I still love this film. The cast is superb; Kate Beckinsale and Mark Strong have great chemistry and the script is fantastic! Very well done.
 
Bronze:
 
 
Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen
Screenplay by Emma Thompson and you can't go wrong! This certainly deserves the bronze position and is a firm favourite. Though not my favourite novel, I love this book; it has humour, love, loss and scandal! It's like a soap opera in the 19th century! Brilliant. And the movie is just like it.
 
Silver:
 
 
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
Directed by Cary Fukunaga, this adaptation preserves the bleak and secretive atmosphere that both Jane and Mr Rochester generate throughout their intense and emotional interactions. It is great. Yes, some character details are dimmed but the sheer drama and passion of the novel is all there.  
Also, the music is exquisite.
 
Gold:
 
 
 
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
Okay, so this is technically not a film. But it's my favourite. Enough said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s nearly Christmas!

Celebrating Silhouettes

Rosie Rushton Review